Monday, December 10, 2012

Week two: Desire

Huh? That was my initial reaction to this week’s theme: Desire.
But when I framed the question, “How are the holidays about desire?” it got easier. There are the ubiquitous ads – this toy will make your child happy, these tires will keep your family safe, this brand of turkey is just like grandma’s . . . And this year, we should all spend money to make the economy better, an outcome we fervently hope for.
Now, buying things can be a way to meet our needs – a way to demonstrate our love, an attempt to provide security. But it’s tricky. Because buying something is simple and concrete, and sometimes becomes a substitute for understanding what it is we want and how to reach out for what we need.
Which leads me to a multitude of questions: How is advent about desire? In this season of waiting and hoping, what do I dream of, long for? Who calls out to me? Where do my desires and hopes spring from? Are they healthy? Do they lead me toward wholeness?
How about you? What do you want for Christmas this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment